Friday, September 27, 2013

They STILL haven't stopped skankin'!

Here's some new tour posters I just designed for Reel Big Fish. This first one was based on an idea from Aaron (Reel Big Fish's frontman)

(click for larger)

Aaron thought it'd be funny to show a bunch of old folks skankin' to show that they indeed did not stop skankin'. So I decided to base it on the classic ska icons, Walt Jabsco and Betty Beat.


This second poster was for select tour dates with Goldfinger.

(click for larger)

For this one I thought it would be fun to combine my RBF Candy Coated Fury characters with Goldfinger's space dominatrix character. This was especially exciting for me because I've been a fan of Goldfinger since their self-titled album was released in '96 and I fell in love with the album artwork, which is where that character first appeared. 




I also added in the classic Reel Big Fish mascot/logo into the Dom's fishbowl which was designed by the insanely talented and legendary Parker Jacobs.
Now I was told by Reel Big Fish's management that for whatever reason Goldfinger's management said that Space Dom couldn't look exactly like the original, so if I wanted to draw her, I'd have to change her. Well, in an attempt to make her look different and make her look like she matched the style of the Candy Coated Fury characters, I rounded her head and made the eyes much bigger. Well, someone pointed out that she now looks like Sedusa from The Powerpuff Girls. Unfortunately, while this certainly was not intentional, I have to agree. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the art direction of Powerpuff Girls and was heavily influenced by it, but I certainly don't ever want to directly swipe from any of my influences unless it's a direct, intentional, and credited parody. I really, really wish I could have gone back and changed it, but unfortunately, it's too late.

Now I have to say, it was really rad to see my artwork up in lights in Times Square in NYC at the Best Buy Theater!





No comments: