Friday, May 24, 2013

Bernie the Butter Sculpture

Last year I had started doing monthly illustrations for the now defunct Cartoon Dump, a live show created and written by Frank Conniff (Mystery Science Theater 3000) that parodies the children's shows of yesteryear, hosted by a cast of misfits that suffer from substance abuse and mental illness while the worst and crappiest vintage cartoons from Jerry Beck's extensive animation library are shown throughout the show.




Before I began doing the monthlies, I was asked to create a series of illustrations to accompany one of the musical numbers;"Bernie the Butter Sculpture". These were projected next to the actors while they sang the song. Moodsy the Clinically Depressed Owl seemed to take a certain delight in Compost Brite's look or horror and misery as the song progressed. Cartoon Dump hasn't run in 7 months and I'm not sure if its coming back or if these will be used again, so I think it's probably safe to share these now. If it does come back, I'd like to redraw them anyway, as I feel I could do much better now. I added Frank's original lyrics to the bottom of the pages for this post, but they didn't actually appear on the projections.





 

No comments: