Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Chickens are revolting!

Here's an album cover I just finished up for my good pals, The Radioactive Chicken Heads.

The design for this was based heavily on Chinese and Russian propaganda posters. Those posters have such great design and graphic appeal! Most of the influence was on the Chinese side. Specifically, the Mao Zedong posters (which my good friend Liz is responsible for turning me onto!).



I went with a more Russian font so it could read. I wanted to give the poster and aged and weathered look. So I added some shadow around the edges and some texture to give it more of an old paper look. For the "distress" marks, I just lifted them off of an old Mad Magazine softcover collection from '66 with Photoshop. If you look carefully you can see the how the marks match.


Incidentally, this book belonged to my Dad when he was 16.

Oh, and for those of you not familiar with the Radioactive Chicken Heads, the character that we chose to feature on the cover is Sgt. Psychlopps.



To learn more about the Radioactive Chicken Heads, check them out on myspace at http://www.myspace.com/chickenheads or, visit your local library

No comments: